You have to find out why coconut oil is as special as people start using it more and more. It is high in vitamins, minerals, and fats that are great for the human body. It is not limited to hair, thus people use it for making cosmetic soaps, creams, and different foods and salads. In hair use, coconut oil has shown amazing results as its components keep the hair nourished, strong, and protected from premature aging, baldness, and excessive hair loss. Let us check the benefits of coconut for hair care:
- Prevents hair loss – fungal infection, nutritional deficiency, and other inflammatory skin conditions cause hair loss. There are loads of healthy fats in coconut oil that nourish the scalp and hair shaft, fighting skin infections and reducing inflammation. Take 2 tbsp. of sage oil and 3 tbsp. of coconut oil and cook them over a low heat until they are combined. Let it cool off and test it on your skin. If the temperature is warm then apply it on your scalp before going to bed and cover it with shower cap. In the morning wash it out.
- Hair conditioning – you can prepare it at home very easily and the greatest thing about it is that it will not cause any side effects. Mix some henna with coconut oil and add warm milk in order to make a paste. Apply the mixture on the hair and let it sit for 2 minutes, after which you should rinse it off with water. This is very effective hair conditioner especially for dry hair type.
- Hair toning – you can tone your dry hair with the help of coconut oil. Thus, make a mixture of coconut oil and lavender essential oil and apply it on the scalp. Let it stay overnight and then rinse it in the morning. Repeat this repeatedly until you get the desired results.
- Gray hair – the color of the hair is provided by the pigment cells that are located at the base of every hair follicle. Once we grow old, the pigment cells die, becoming less efficient, so you can use coconut oil to nourish the scalp and protect the base of the hair follicles. If your hair and scalp are healthy, your hair will not become gray. Massage the oil along with some lemon each day for 15 minutes.
- Repair hair damage – protein loss is reduced with the use of coconut oil in damaged and undamaged hair. The lauric acid has a high affinity for hair protein and penetrates easily inside the hair shaft due to the molecular weight. You can use it for pre-wash or post-wash hair grooming.
- Kills lice – they are common in children and most of the treatments are toxic and can burn the scalp, damaging the hair. You can use coconut oil for this issue as it will hydrate the skin instead of irritating it. Moreover, you can use it against pesticide-resistant lice. The oil will coat the lice and will suffocate them, preventing the eggs and the lice from hanging onto hair shafts. Apply the oil on your hair, let it stay for couple of days and continue applying the oil as it gets absorbed into the skin and hair. Add couple of drops of teat tree oil for a more potent lice formula.
- Makes your hair smooth – excessive dryness causes fizzy hair. Coconut repels water and retains moisture within the hair shaft, so if you apply it on your hair and waiting for 10-15 minutes before you wash it with water you will get silky and smooth hair. If you want to tame flyaways and slick down your hair, creating smooth updos, you can also use coconut oil.
- Fights dandruff – the fatty acids in coconut oil serve as an anti-dandruff agent which makes it better than all the anti-dandruff shampoos. If you regularly apply it you can get rid of dandruff for good. Mix it with some lukewarm water and castor oil and massage your scalp and hair for optimal results. You can also mix coconut oil with sesame oil and apply the mixture, waiting for 30 minutes and afterwards shampoo your hair.
It is time for you to get organic. Most of the organic shampoos already contain it, but in case the type you want to use does not have it, you can always add the oil to enjoy the benefits.